





Image 1: group mind map
Image 2: first sketch session, improve the chair
Image 3: second sketch session, physio-attachment
Image 4: third sketch session, psycho/socio-attachment
Images 5-9: final group solution, The Lazy Bub rocker
This addition to the Stefan chair will facilitate a connection between a new mother and the chair. With this proposed kit she will remember this chair as her first rocking chair. The proposed materials are laminated plywood for strength. The consumer will use it as a nursery chair for a new child. This chair would have first been bought by a new family for the kitchen table. Since there are only two adults only two chairs are needed but they would buy four in case they had company. In the mean time they would use this kit to transform one of their kitchen chairs into a rocker which if bought new can cost well over a hundred dollars.
This challenge has brought promoting long-term satisfaction of the product to my attention. I had not explored the "4 pleasures" before this activity. I believe that designing beyond the original product can be useful in an IKEA situation where extra odds and ends can already be purchased to personalize furniture pieces but in an upscale market, such as cherry wood furniture and other "classic" pieces, additions like this are not going to work. I really enjoyed working like this! It was a great way to get creativity flowing. I also thought it was useful in getting to know some of my classmates, which I really appreciated. If I was to design any piece of furniture from scratch the most important quality that I would always stick to (unless the person employing me and presenting the project disagrees) is that the piece be completely recyclable or biodegradable.
No comments:
Post a Comment